Take a look at this.
It doesn't look like much, right? Not much other than some winter-bare trees and a rainy bus stop--my view on the way to work. But let's look again.
THAT is a squirrel.
...And then there were TWO.
And they taught me something today.
Maybe my brain has been washed out from chasing buses and waiting endlessly, getting kinks in my neck from peering left down the street, looking for the familiar headlights of the E2. Nonetheless, as I noticed those little DC rodents, I learned something. There they are, out on the paper thin twig at the very tippy top, literally "out on a limb" to reach the acorns left there in mid-winter. I wonder if they are ever afraid? Or even a little apprehensive? One misstep and they would careen to a very busy and very deadly street below. Yet there they are, going after their tiny hearts' desires despite the danger, despite the prospect of failure, despite the great effort required in balancing fifty feet above the ground.
Maybe they don't think of that at all, and instead just munch their prizes in peace.
But today, waiting for another bus as I do every day, I did.
Thanks squirrels, I needed that.



No comments:
Post a Comment